15 November 2011

Michelle & Paolo's South African Safari Wedding

My old school friend Michelle got married a few months after I did. I had the pleasure of giving a bit of support and advice whilst she was living in the UK. Her 'something borrowed' was my wedding tiara so the price per wear went down on that!

Sadly I don't get to see her in person anymore as she has moved back to her native South Africa with her husband. But it's great to revisit her beautiful wedding photos and share her experience with you.

Here are Michelle's pictures and comments about her and Paolo's special day...








Date:
10th January 2009

Location:
Mangwa Valley Game Lodge, Gauteng, South Africa

Theme / Colours:
Bush theme with pink/white/green colours

Suppliers:
Save the Date Ecard: Lovely Designs
Invitations: local supplier in South Africa
Photographer: Sonja Hilton - expensive but worth every cent
DJ: Blast (a great company according to Michelle)
Wedding coordinator: Theresa Erlank, Del Cielo Coordinators

Highlights of the wedding day:
The weather was a blessing as it was baking hot but it thankfully rained over lunchtime which lowered the temperature and meant the lighting for the photographs was great.
I am very grateful for having had a videographer, as this is the last video record of my Dad, and that I was fortunate enough to have him walk me down the aisle, as he has since then passed on from illness.

Anything you would have done differently?:
I wasn't 100% happy with my hairstyle, so i would probably have changed that. Otherwise, the catering was a little less than expected so i would have made sure we had a tasting beforehand to finetune the menu.  I also wish I had been more hands-on with the stationery instead of relying on a company to design it all.  Looking back, if had worked together with Lovely Designs to do all my stationery I think I would have had more input, but it is difficult organising a wedding from overseas.

Where did you get your ideas and inspiration?:
Magazines, friends, and wedding planner.

Any time or money saving tips?:
Definitely the wedding planner was a great investment, and they needn't do everything but having her to plan and then arrange the whole day made the whole family far more relaxed.  Don't do what I did and buy a dress that needs alterations - it ended up costing twice the price!

Advice to other brides-to-be:
Don't sweat the small stuff, at the end of the day, what people remember is the experience they had on your special day and not whether the table tops were perfect, etc. Remember to enjoy!  Also the best investment is the photographer and/or videographer, don't cut costs on these!