16 January 2012

Featured Artist: Paula McGrudy


Original work by Paula McGrudy


Valentines Pinhole Heart Drawing

Pulled Red Heart Mixed Media

Hyde Park Mixed Media, Heart Map & Birds

Birds and Valentines Human Heart Mixed Media


Last year, in November, I attended an Etsy Selling Seminar to get some tips on opening my own online store. After the talk there was a chance to mingle over drinks and crisps. It was a great opportunity to meet some like-minded designers and crafty people at different stages of expertise in the art of selling on Etsy.

One of the people that I met that evening was Paula McGrudy. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to her for very long as it was the end of the evening. However, after exchanging a few emails and joining circles on Etsy, I am getting to know her a little better.

One thing that particularly stands out for me about Paula, is her use of the human heart as a theme that appears in her graphics, illustrations and treasury lists on Etsy. In Paula's Etsy shop, you can buy her limited edition prints, mixed media pieces and quirky jewellery.

Here is a bit more about Paula in her own words: 
I'm an Irish artist and studied Drawing at Camberwell, University of The Arts London. The last couple of years I've been mainly focusing on my best creation so far, my little 2 year old! So my art has somewhat taken a back seat. I'm slowly beginning to get the space and time to start making and creating again, which I'm really enjoying. Recently I heard someone say that, 'making your dreams come true takes hard work' that has really impacted me and when I'm weary and hitting the studio seems like a chore this is my mantra. Once I sit down and doodle for a bit inspiration normally hits and I get into a rhythm.


Much of my work revolves around memories and the transience of time, the passing of time and fleeting moments in our lives. I try to capture the deicate fragile nature of life in my work.


I've had a fascination with hair and maps since studying for my Drawing BA. I was doing some research and came across some small pieces of jewelery in the London Science Museum of all places!! I became fascinated with these 'keepsakes' containing hair of a loved one, kind of unsettling yet beautiful. Since then it stared a process of incorporating hair into my work and by stitching into paper as a means to depict this fragility. My Mum, who is a textile artist taught me how to sew at a young age, this holds so many memories and is often central to my work. I remember so many times sitting around the table in my parents house, knitting, sewing or doing some kind of craft, with my Mum.


The images and materials I use represent, fragility, direction, loss, fertility and the beauty and transience of time. My work is often repetitive, labour intensive and fragile, but I like that, I actually find it quite therapeutic!


You can find me hanging around in these places…
Twitter: @paulamcgurdy
Blog: www.paulamcgurdy.com
Etsy Shop: www.paulamcgurdy.etsy.com